I've been getting a bit of neuropathic pain recently. Only Intermittently though, not constant. Usually at night - Just as I want to sleep! A horrible stinging and burning sensation, It feels like my feet are on fire. It goes up to my knees and stops dead. It's my legs, it's ALWAYS my legs!
I've been 'lucky' when it comes to MS related pain. It's always been present, but it has been of a minimal significance. Recently it has struck with a vengeance on a couple of occasions. On one, it kept me awake almost all night. I was not happy.
I currently take Amitriptyline for neuropathic pain. I was on 50mg daily. I should actually say nightly really, because those babies make you sleep like a, erm, a baby, but I cut down to 30mg as I was aware that they were having an imparing (is that such a word, or have I just invented a new verb?) effect on my cognition - you know, when your brain takes that extra second or two to acknowledge something has been said to you, or when you temporarily forget something unforgetful. That's an oxymoron, just for you MSers
I was initially reluctant to increase my neuropathic pain medication because of the potential weight gain as well as the cog-fog issues already mentioned. I did a bit of research on some other neuropathic pain drugs, - Pregabilin, Gabapentin and duloxitine in particular - then I spoke to my MS nurse about my options.
She told me that all these drugs work in a similar way and the side effects are all pretty much the same. As my body tolerates Amitriptyline well, she's suggested that I stick with what my body knows and increase it as needed.
Oh (*insert your choice of swear word here*)! I don't want to increase my medication, but I have a plan. Unless this pain becomes a regular occurrence, I think I'm going to stick to the dose that is good 99% of the time, and when the pain starts the other 1%, I'm going to dose myself up with Tramadol. Obviously, it won't take the pain away, but it might make the pain not bother me and it might help me get off to sleep too.
I've got a stash of 100 50mg tablets from a time I was given them, but I never used, for a reason that escapes my mind just now. See, the cog fog is bad enough, WHY would I want to increase my meds and make it worse?
I promise to talk about Gilenya next week. Have a good one,