Friday 13 September 2013

Week 53

Well, I've now started my second year on Gilenya. Lets hope the symptom relief continues for me and the primary care trust will be of the opinion that that is worthwhile for them to continue paying Novartis' extortionate fees for my medication. 

So what's my disease modifying therapy plan for the next 12 months? You're probably asking yourself why am I asking you, but I'm talking to myself really. First sign of madness and all that...

I hope to be kept on Gilenya for as long as possible, but I believe it will be withdrawn at my next Neurology appointment in December. Happy Christmas, Dan!

My neuro is called Professor Giovannoni and he and his team do a research blog that I do regularly read it. It's far more interesting than my feeble effort. 

I recently read one of his entries about a stage 3 drug that's been on trial. The drug in question is called Laquinimod and the best part about it is... wait for it... drum roll... it has been tested on people with  progressive MS! 

Laquinimod is the first drug to show positive results in that helps with disability and brain atrophy (shrinkage). Most disease modifying drugs work by targeting the relapsing and the 
inflammatory side of the illness. It looks like this one is neuroprotective, which in layman's terms means it's aim is preventing progression - something that no other drug has managed to do with me. 

Prof G would like this ORAL therapy to be used alongside other medicines that work against the relapsing remitting side of the illness. This is exciting times for people with ALL types of MS. 

Don't take my word for it, take the scientist's. Link at bottom

Happy Friday,

Dan

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/is-laquinimod-new-wonder-drug-that.html?m=1

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your blog, I'm on day 16 of Fingolimod (Gilenya)hoping It'll be sucessful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerob, I hope Gilenya is good to you. I never had any side effects on it.

    ReplyDelete