Friday 7 February 2014

Week 74

Fatigue has been back in my life recently for the first time in about 12 months. I'm quite content that its reoccurrence is in no way related to Gilenya. I don't know whether it has receded, or if I've just got used to it. It is quarter past nine in the evening and I'm wide awake. I'm probably not helping the situation much because as well as stimulating my tiny mind by doing this diary entry, I have got the darts on telly and nearly all the lights on in the flat. Phil Taylor has just got spanked 7-0, if you're interested 

I did tell myself that I wouldn't leave these blogs until the last minute, but just like most weeks, I have done exactly that. It is Thursday evening. I like to publish it on Friday mornings, that way I know where I am with regards to the current week I am in. 

I did seriously consider not doing a blog this week because there isn't much going on with me other than the fatigue. 

I did leave a message with my MS nurse a week ago, but I never heard back. They are very busy and nearly always return your call the next day, two at the absolute most. It's never taken this long for them to get in touch, so I can only assume my answerphone message has got lost in their voicemail system somewhere   I did leave them another message to call me. Hopefully they'll contact me before I post this blog tomorrow morning. If they do this blog will be even longer and more boring. Sorry. 

I looked into medication for fatigue. I'm going to see if they can write a letter to my GP asking them to give me some vitamin B12 injections. I know a few MSers who regularly have these jabs. Is it 3 monthly? I'm not an expert at all on this, but people that are anaemic tend to have them with that regularity. 

There is a drug that has been suggested that's called Seledigine. I think it's spelt like that. There are other treatments called Modafinil and Amantadine. I'll be honest here, I'm not keen on the drug route. I pollute my body with many toxins as it is. Think I'll go for B12 if allowed   

Do something silly this weekend. 

Dan

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,
    I've tried to get Modafinil many times but have always been refused and I do take Amantadine which has a very limited effect on me (although others get much better results).
    Seledigine - never heard of it! I'll have to have a little forage around for some information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medications like Modafinil are in the family of Prinivil and Nuvigil and they are pill from. I always get refused and my Neuro has to do appeals because they are prescribed for narcolepsy but they are very often used for MS fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rallsinnc,

      It needs to be prescribed off label, but some people are lucky enough to get it. It all depends how compassionate your primary care trust is.

      Delete
  3. Hi Luke,

    I take Amitriptyline too. I take it for neuropathic pain, not fatigue.it knocks me right out. i'd rather B12 jabs than drugs

    ReplyDelete