Friday 11 October 2013

Week 57

had my hospital appointment today and they checked out my eyes. They lost the notes as to why I was there, but having bored you all with stories about swollen maculas on more than one occasion I was able to remind them why I was there. All in all, it's been a bit of a cock up. They got my appointment date wrong last week and now I have the Doctor asking me why I was there and what department had referred me to her!

Anyway, I did the usual triangle of letters where each row gets smaller. It was at this point all was agreed all round that I probably need glasses as I am a bit short sighted. Then the Doctor puts some drops in my eyes. One lot to make my pupils dilate, and another to 'make my eyeballs numb'! I assume the patronising old bag meant anaesthetic, but I did turn up for the appointment in a wheelchair and the general public do have a tendency to believe wheelchair users are mentally disabled as well as physically. No wait, she's a professional. She should know better. 

She then looked into my eyes (not lovingly) through some microscope type thing, before giving me the good news: There is no sign of any damage to the myelin surrounding the optic nerves, and there isn't any swelling in or around either eye. Happy days! You was expecting a sarcastic reply to my 'good news' announcement just then, wasn't you?

So where does this leave me with the eye issues I had this summer? It must've been just that. The hot weather. Not optic neuritis and not a Gilenya caused side effect. And that's official 

When I think back, I was getting some neuropathic pain in my legs during the night I the summer too. Not often, but more than one occasion. That too has died right down recently.  It really must be a case of the weather exacerbating my symptoms. 

Any chances of an Indian summer have completely gone now, so all in all, Dan's a happy man. 

Have a great weekend,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment