Saturday 12 January 2013

Week 18

How are you all? I hope you're enjoying normality after Christmas and new year like I am.

There is something I want to tell you, and that is about my minimal neuropathic (nerve) pain.

At the beginning of last year, I decided that I wanted to try and cut down on the drug I was taking for the stinging sensation I was getting in my legs. I was taking 50 mg of Amitriptyline of an evening.

I read somewhere that the side effects to this type of medication was cognitive issues. I do suffer from 'cog fog' and my memory is (and always was) pretty bad. I decided that if I wanted to 'stop the rot' I would have to endure a bit of pain. I got myself down to a dose of 40mgs with ease. I didn't notice an increase in pain at all.

By the time I started on Gilenya, I had just started reducing down to 30 mgs with a bearable amount of nerve pain. Over the last few weeks, I've realised that my pain levels are pretty much non existent, so I'm going down to 20 at present.

Only a fool would credit the Gilenya with this because I was cutting back long before I started the new drug, but I found it surprisingly easy getting from 40 mg down to 30. I was in a bit of pain at first, but not too much. I seem to be getting down to 20 effortlessly too. But I can't help wondering if Gilenya has played a part in a subconscious way. I am feeling really positive about Gilenya and the changes I've noticed within my body and that must help. Or does that just make me a fool then?

Anyway, I feel a lot less cloudy within the confines of my tiny little mind now. I'm not condoning cutting down on your medication - well, I suppose I am, but I have an issue with the amount of pills I pop each day. Despite my Amitriptyline reduction, I still take 18 tablets (7 of which are vitamins) every day. Shake me and I rattle.

I was going to talk about Gilenya today, wasn't I? Next week I promise to. I'll tell you about my fatigue since I've been on the new medication.

Speak soon,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment