Friday 5 July 2013

Week 43

I don't know about you, but where I am (the UK), I've been getting plenty of vitamin D. It's been hot. Too hot in fact. The weekend just gone has been a hot one. The actual heat, or the sunlight isn't the problem. In this country, you can't have heat without the dreaded humidity accompanying it. We are  all different. I know MSers that worship the sun. In fact, my old supervisor at work had MS too, and he actually moved to Australia  because the heat helped to minimise his symptoms. I have been told that the heat is different abroad. It's not so close as it is here, so it isn't humid like it is here in good old Blighty (England).

I haven't had the courage to try that theory out yet, but wifey and I have discussed the idea of going on a cruise on the Mediterranean maybe, catch a bit of sun AND sea air.  Call me a coward all you like, but the thought of spending all that money just to more than likely make myself feel more ill than I usually do seems futile. Anyway I take 5000 international units  (iu) of vitamin D3 every day. That comes in at  1250% recommend daily amount (RDA).

There are firm beliefs that a lack of vitamin D could be just one of many factors that could possibly contribute to you being at risk of having MS. There's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes in that statement and somebody of a more cynical disposition might say that they're saying it like that, because they simply don't know. They could also question the point in recommending you take high dose D3 supplements even though your MS has already been recognised (diagnosed), as it seems to be nothing more than a case of 'Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted'. I don't know, but for what they cost - peanuts - ill take them anyway. 

I do give vitamin D3 supplements to my children too. They are 10 and 6 years old and they both have 2000iu each day. They come in the form of a strawberry chew, so there's no difficulty in getting them to take them after they've had breakfast. Who knows if it will help, but it can't do any harm. If you have MS and kids, I would advise you to speak to your consultant about what dose they think you should give them. Here is what mine recommends: 

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/at-last-some-movement-upwards-on-rda-of.html?m=1

If I knew the answer to that lot I would be a very rich man. Alas, a very rich man who still has MS and an expanded disability status scale (EDSS) score of 6.5. All of a sudden money seems pointless to me. Every penny in the world couldn't buy my health. 

Anyway, it could be worse. Some of my symptoms may be exacerbated due to the weather, but there is none of the worsening of fatigue, bladder and bowel (kiss my arse, fate) issues that I was expecting to appear with the warmer weather. Thank you, Gilenya. 

Don't forget the factor 50 suntan cream, people. 

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment