Friday 12 July 2013

Week 44

I'm sure I mentioned to you recently that I started taking a new drug for spasticity. The plan was to replace the anti-spasticity drug Baclofen with a different anti-spasticity drug called tizanidine (Zanaflex). Well I got the latter up to the maximum dose, but I didn't notice any improvement. I did, however, find my legs weaker, so I immediately started cutting down on the Baclofen till I was right off it and taking only tizanidine. I'll get straight to the point - It doesn't work anyway near as good as Baclofen with me. 

There is an old metaphor: If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Well that's not quite the case, so I've invented a new one for you, ready? *drum roll*  'If it IS broken, but still works a little bit, don't try to fix it, as you'll make it worse!' I made that up all by myself. I am getting the copyright on it tomorrow, so plagiarise me and I'll sue! I won't really, I'll probably forget to. 

I've got a bit of a shitty story for you.  I had diarrhoea in the week. (Pun intended, by the way). Now you MUST be asking yourself why I am telling you this? I just wanted to make a note of it because it is a recognised side effect with Gilenya. I know it is nothing to do with Gilenya because I've been on the medication for almost a year, but I still thought it was worth the mention. 

I was reading an article  the other day about Gilenya and it said that it has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration  (FDA) for 3 years now. The original stage 3 trial started 4 years prior and as in a lot of cases, you are kept on the drug when the trial has ended, (I have a friend who has been on Tysabri for 11 years now!) means there are people that have been on this 'new' treatment for *gets calculator* - 7 years. I wouldn't mind speaking to some of these people to see how they feel their illness has progressed - if at all - in that time. A link to the article is at the bottom of the page. 

In the first 6 months taking Gilenya, I believe I had stabilised, but now that march towards progression is in motion again. 

I apologise about ending on a not so bright note, but I don't work for Novartis, so I'm not here to promote their product. I am just saying it as it is. 

Have a nice weekend, all. 

Dan

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/244466.php

No comments:

Post a Comment