Friday 3 January 2014

Week 69

Happy new year to one and all. I hope you saw in the dawn of the year in in the way that you wanted. 

I did, I spent the evening with wifey, the children and a large bottle of Vodka. Yes, I did drink far too much. No I didn't fall over. Not once. That itself is a good start to 2014, let's see how long I can keep it up. To be honest, I'll have probably fallen over by the time I publish this on Friday. I've got a whole 2 days to swerve the carpet till then. 

After my diary last week, I had a few tweets asking me about why a diagnosis of secondary progressive MS (SPMS) can affect an MSers eligibility for Gilenya? I probably didn't explain it properly, but in the UK, Gilenya is used as a second line treatment for people with relapsing remitting MS (RRMS). 

Gilenya's primary function is to reduce the amount and severity of relapses. In doing this, it is hoped that this will delay the transition to SPMS. When you officially get diagnosed with SPMS it is because you have stopped relapsing and your body is in decline. Your disability is slowly progressing. 

The scientists are pretty much in agreement that Gilenya doesn't help with the actual progression itself. Therefore it is pointless giving a treatment that at £41 per tablet, and approximately £15,000 per year to somebody who has stopped having relapses. It sounds harsh, but I can understand the decision. 

I have been given the Shift MS Twitter account to use and abuse for the weekend. Think I'll use it to 'shamelessly' advertise my blog...

NO FALLS!

Have a good one,

Dan 

2 comments: